Thursday, July 30, 2009

Youth Culture

A funny thing happened to me last weekend. I was watching Nascar with my son during a late lunch. There is a new, super cute, young driver named Joey Logano. My son got a kick over my lusting, but I later discovered that this guy is the same age as my son!

I was flabbergasted. This had never happened before, that I was attracted to a guy that my son would call a peer! And I was completely embarrassed. More so than the situation deserved, I discovered. My son could have cared less. He was thoroughly amused at my distress.

But, later, we talked about why older dudes find the young ones more appealing than "folks" their own age. And why younger "peeps" find older folks gross, creepy, or just downright disgusting. And in particular, why I, myself found younger guys more appealing.

A little introspection, now and then is a good thing. A very good thing.

This is embarrassing to post, but you could call me the "40 Year Old" gay virgin. Not to state my exact age, but I am in this decade of my life, and I have never participated in the one act that epitomizes "gay sex" (if you catch what I am pitching here).

And I had to confront my own internalized stereotyping: that all adult gay males are hopeless sluts! Now don't get me wrong, I'm not an idiot. I knew intellectually that this was not the case. But matters of attraction don't stop in the cranium, bounce around, and compute after all. And it doesn't help me that the gay adults in my life tell stories that would put penthouse letters in the category of Children's Lit. !!!!

On a purely Id level, I discovered that I was attracted to younger guys, who I perceived as pure somehow. Innocent of the depravities of my gay male adult acquaintances. Young men who hadn't had time yet to rack up a score card. But most important to my sensibilities, I discovered that I was equating youthful inexperience with a more sensitive, romantic soul. And, I was equating mature gay men with being cold, horny beasts.

Well, I shouldn't have to tell you, that I found this personal incite very enlightening. And, it has obvious parallels to our youth obsessed culture.

2 comments:

  1. I found this interesting little post that highlights this meeting of the ages in gay culture:

    http://www.breaktheillusion.com/?p=1708

    ReplyDelete
  2. And this post discussing how younger people find mature adults simply disgusting:

    http://cottersinmytummy.blogspot.com/2007/03/naked-men.html

    ReplyDelete